I hope you all had a nice Monday. Things were quiet here, just work, a long walk, and some delicious eats as usual. I spent most of the day writing and responding to emails. It feels so nice to be back in the groove of doing what you love. I really can't even begin to say how thankful I am to be so busy with so many writing jobs. I also like knowing I'm doing something TOWARDS my career instead of just working a day job that's going nowhere making me miserable at the same time. After everything I've been through, it sure is nice to feel directed in an avenue of passion.
Thanks for all your support!:)
But you didn't come to read this post because you want to talk about my job(s) or my dreams and wishes. You came to get a recipe for a Superfood Detox Smoothie, right? And if you read yesterday's post, I bet you remembered that I had a giveaway in store for you today, right?
Well, the giveaway is actually coming TOMORROW and it's well-worth the wait, I promise! For today, I've actually got a smoothie recipe for you featuring a hint towards one of the ingredients for the giveaway....
This smoothie features FIVE of my favorite vegan products, all of which I mentioned in the series just a couple weeks ago.
This smoothie was also created totally on accident, yet it's become a daily favorite of mine I can't get enough of.
It features some super star, detoxifying veggies that your liver and digestive system will LOVE, not to mention a MASSIVE amount of superfoods. Because really, superfoods are like veggies on steroids, so the more the merrier, right?:)
All of these magical ingredients are wrapped up into one fancy package that tastes like a frozen dessert you can eat with a spoon:)
First, this smoothie has one of my favorite meal replacement products:
Vega One! Ya'll know I love my Vega One and it's been one of the best smoothie ingredient additions (and health additions) I've ever added to my day. It keeps me energized, feeling fabulous, and I never ever get tired of it. It also makes my smoothies super thick and creamy, which is an absolute MUST in my book.
For this recipe, I used the Chocolate Flavor but I also like the Natural, French Vanilla, and my all-time favorite is Vanilla Chai.
Vega One is filled with the highest quality superfoods like maqui, acai, goj, and mangosteen powder. It also has maca for energy, along with chia and flax for omega 3's and fiber. The probiotics and chlorella in Vega One also help to gently detoxify the body while also supporting digestion and overall wellness.
I use Vega One at least once a day and my smoothies wouldn't be complete without it, especially one that I want to give me a full dose of nutritional and detoxifying benefits:)
Plus, ya'll know how much I love my Vega Cereal!!:)
Moving on to smoothie ingredient # 2:
This blend has an awesome flavor of lemon, ginger, coconut, and stevia! It's really nice paired with chocolate, believe it or not:) Garden of Life also only uses raw stevia leaf (the actual green herb) which I just love and they use the highest-quality, easy to digest superfoods like wheat grass, chlorella, spirulina, sprouted seeds, and other yummy superfoods. It's also rich in chromium, which helps stabilize your blood sugar and support a healthy body weight.
I featured it in Day 5 of my Favorite Vegan Products series because I seriously never go one day without this delicious awesomeness! It tastes like a chocolate malt yet contains especially nutrient-rich detoxifying foods.
It's completely non-bitter and very sweet so you can use less than you would even regular liquid stevia or even powdered stevia.
And last, but not least, the last product I used that I featured in my Favorite Vegan Products post series is my favorite smoothie whole food ingredient- Sambazon unsweetened acai smoothie puree! PURE 100% ORGANIC, NON-GMO, NO SUGAR ADDED ACAI!
Oh I just love my acai! It's full of omega 3's, protein, fiber, and antioxidants. It keeps you looking AND feeling great and is such a true superfood.
Now, for the SPECIAL detox ingredients lurking right in your own kitchen (or at least they should be), get ready for this folks!
We're using :
BEETS, APPLES, RASPBERRIES, GINGER, AND CELERY!
Those items are especially AWESOME for detox and here's why:
- Beets have an awesome sweet flavor and though I'm not big on them in regular vegetable dishes, in a smoothie they're just delectable! Beets are prime detox ingredients for the liver, the lungs, and the heart. They're also awesome for your digestive health (just saying!), your mood (the relax the nervous system), and they aid in cleansing the blood.
- Apples are full of sweetness and have an especially neat fiber known as pectin. Pectin soaks up toxins and cholesterol, along with unhealthy fats that clog the body and cause disease. Apples are also full of natural sugars that digest slowly and can help establish regular bowel movements. They also keep you full a long time and can help prevent unstable blood sugar. They're also high in potassium and Vitamin C to help beat bloating and excess water weight.
- Raspberries are the lowest sugar berry aside from acai and maqui berries. They're also the highest in fiber of all berries. Raspberries also cleanse the digestive tract, blood, and aid in healthy nervous system function. They're a great source of Vitamin C and potassium as well.
- Celery is a natural diuretic that helps to cleanse the body and support your electrolyte balance. It's rich in water, sodium, and potassium to keep you well-hydrated. It's like a veggie form of Gatorade if you will :) Using it in smoothies may seem strange but if you chop it and freeze it before using, it's actually very mild in flavor.
- Ginger is a root that warms up the body and stimulates healthy liver function, along with helps excrete bile from the body. This is important for detox and a healthy metabolism. It also nourishes the digestive tract and aids in natural cleansing. I love that it reduces nausea and gives smoothies an especially sweet yet spicy kick when paired with cinnamon.
- Speaking of cinnamon, we're using my favorite Flavor of the Earth cinnamon, straight from Sri Lanka, where all TRUE cinnamon is produced (more on that here.) Cinnamon is awesome for the blood sugar, liver, heart, digestive tract, and your natural sweet tooth!
Now- here's the trick!
To get this smoothie SUPER thick, chop and freeze all your veggie and fruits first. I chop my apple, beet, and celery up into cubes the night before and put this in a Ziploc baggie in the freezer.
(You can also do this all at once for the week with 7 bags, which is so much easier on a daily basis.)
Now, let's make a smoothie, shall we?
The Soulful Spoon's Ultimate Superfood Detox Smoothie
This smoothie doesn't just cleanse your body but it also supports and nourishes your entire system. Featuring only the highest-quality superfood ingredients on the market today, this smoothie is one that belongs in every superfood-lover's kitchen!
- 1 cup nondairy milk (I use Silk unsweetened almond, vanilla)
- 1 cup water
- 1 beet, peeled, chopped, and frozen into cubes (see above tip)
- 1 apple of choice, chopped and frozen into cubes(see above tip)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped and frozen into cubes (see above tip)
- 1 pack Sambazon Unsweetened Acai Smoothie pack
- 1 scoop Vega One (I used chocolate but any flavor is great)
- 1 scoop Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw Alkalizer and Detoxifier Greens Powder (or the cacao flavor would work great here too)
- 1 scoop Bright Earth Foods Rainbow Superfood Smoothie Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon Flavor of the Earth Cinnamon
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh orgainc ginger root
- 2 teaspoons NuNaturals Simple Syrup Stevia
- 10 ice cubes (to get it even colder and thicker)
- Place the almond milk (or your choice nondairy milk), water, and frozen beet, apple, and celery into the blender.
- Blend to puree and then add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed into your blender (preferably a high-speed like the Blendtec). I use the frozen dessert button on my Blendtec.
- Use the low setting on a regular blender if you have one to get it going, and then progress to high.
- Blend and pour into a glass so it's nice and cold. If you have any additional smoothie leftover, either put it in the fridge or freezer for later use, covered.
JUST LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL COLOR!!
*GET YOUR OWN BLENDTEC HERE AND SAVE $25 on SHIPPING PLUS $150 on Reconditioned, Like NEW Blenders!!*
Once you add the rest of the ingredients, the brightness DOES go away for those of you that get a bit nervous about the beet. I promise- don't fear it! It's actually really good in a smoothie, especially with the cacao, apple, and stevia.
With this delicious meal in a glass, who could ever want to detox and nourish another way?:)
Have a great Tuesday and stay tuned for the giveaway tomorrow!