You've probably heard the term "antioxidant" more times than you can count, and even though you know antioxidants are something healthy for you, I think it's easy for most of us to overlook this word more often than not. Yes, we know blueberries, spinach, kale, chia, and all kinds of veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots, and even herbs are high in antioxidants.
But what do antioxidants really do?
To put it simply, they keep the bad guys (which are free radicals that trigger inflammation and disease) from taking over. Think of them in the same way you think of probiotics. They're powerful fighters that win the war on harmful things we encounter through the environment, from stress, or from a poor diet that can do everything from age us to make us feel like crap.
A funny thing happened over the last two years when I started using superfoods (which are the ultimate source of antioxidants). I never get sick - ever. No cold, no yearly strep throat, no flu, nothing. And please understand, I don't say this to brag, but instead to truly testify (in aw) of how powerful these foods are.
While some people credit this to my healthy diet, I know differently. I used to eat healthy and still got sick. When I implemented in some of the most potent sources of antioxidants in small servings (literally a teaspoon of each a day) of high-powered superfoods, everything changed.
My daily favorite superfoods include:
- camu camu
- goji berry powder
- superfood powders (Bright Earth Foods Superfood Smoothie Mix, Amazing Grass, Vega, etc.)
- mangosteen powder (more to come on this one soon!)
- raw coconut butter (Artisana is my favorite) and raw coconut flour
What look like pricey products to some, I know, are much more than that. They literally change the way I think, feel, and my overall immunity has went through the roof since using them. And I don't know about you, but I'd much rather pay for whole, raw foods to use in simple ways each day that make me feel great than get sick, go to the doctor, only be given a Rx for a chemical-based medicine that takes my hard-earned money, or that I need insurance for. No thanks!
Superoods last me anywhere from 3-4 months in my pantry because I use so little per day. Just a teaspoon of cacao or 1/2 tsp. camu-camu has more antioxidants than a pound of most vegetables. And yes, while we need veggies (and I LOVE my veggies), they don't compare in their abilities to fight away free radicals or provide the same energizing benefits.
Plus, my skin has done a 180 since using superfoods in addition to a whole foods diet. I had clear skin after I started eating healthy years ago and ditched sugar and most grains, processed foods, milk, etc., however, until I started using superfoods, I can't say my face really glowed like it does now.
Recently, a company that I love, Natural Supplements Rx, sent me some of their berry blend superfood, known as Amaze Antioxidants, which has acai, goji, mangosteen, camu camu, blackberries, maqui, and all kinds of other amazing high-antioxidant superfoods. It even has CRANBERRIES (one of my favorites!).
Containing no sugar, and 100 percent raw and organic superfoods, along with being non-GMO, this superfood is tasty and so healthy for you! It's a bright pink color that goes beautifully in smoothies, oatmeal, you name it.
You can also see my review of their delicious cupuaco powder (another favorite superfood) for more information about this wonderful company.
I made a smoothie with it that turned out just lovely! Packed with simple ingredients and just a teaspoon of this superfood powder, it really did taste like dessert for breakfast.
The other ingredients used support the absorption of the nutrients in this superfood powder and they add a rich, creamy taste that will also keep you full for hours. This smoothie is also easy to digest and will keep things moving and flowing quite nicely;)
But the best part? It's a total brain-boosting smoothie that also fights away a sour mood, along with unhealthy microbes in the gut lining. Enjoy this as a protection-empowering meal that is sure to make you feel good all over.
Amazing Antioxidant-Rich Smoothie - Vegan, Gluten-Free
Serves: 2 small servings or one large
- 1-1/2 cups Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk (my favorite) or you can use raw almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw coconut butter
- 1 tsp. Amaze Antioxidants by Natural Rx Supplements
- 1/4-1/3 cup raw (never heated) gluten-free organic oatmeal
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup frozen berries of choice (I like cranberries or raspberries to keep the sugar down)
- 1 drop of liquid vanilla stevia
- 1/2 tsp. raw cacao powder (optional, but I love)
- 1 tsp. raw maca powder
- Optional (for more filling power)- 1 scoop grain-free, gluten-free plant-based protein powder, vanilla ( I love Vega One French Vanilla)
- 1/2 cup ice
- Blend all the ingredients in a high powered blender and enjoy. I'm testing out the new Nutribullet Rx model, and it's a dream! It's also very affordable if you can't splurge for the Vitamix or Blendtec quite yet, and is just as powerful!
- Drink this for breakfast, or sneak some spinach in (ya can't taste it!) and enjoy for lunch.
Give your body what it needs from raw, plant-based goodness. It will thank you in ways you won't believe!